Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Warming up my sketch hand.

The semester sure is flying by quick.  Spring break is in less then two weeks.  But for me its not going to be so much of a break.  Its going to be an experience.  Im traveling to Prague with about 12 other students to study the built environment and its architecture.  Prague is supposed to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world and Im really excited about going.  This is going to be my first time traveling with fellow architecture students so the learning experience is going to be great.  The class work is based on sketches and photographs we take while recording our experience's.   We will hold an exhibition in Bemis when we get back. 
So in order to make sure Im ready, I have been sketching every chance I get.  Im trying to get my hand and eye tuned to the same key.  The practice is a lot of fun.  I really enjoy sketching especially the more I do it because I notice my improvements.  Sometimes Ill see something randomly and say to myself, "I want to draw that", and normally when I do, those are the sketches that come out looking good.  Its also just an urge I have to satisfy sometimes.  If I haven't put ink to paper in a while I'll have to make it a point to go sketch something.  
Here is a list of some of my sketches over the last few weeks.  Some were drawn on site, some from photographs, and some I made up. 
If anyone has any techniques, suggestions or critics they would like to share please let me know.  I normally use ink when sketching, and sometimes pencil, but I would like to experiment with some other media.  Thanks.

4 comments:

Bemis Labs Blog said...

I lovwe that sun trust building. It sticks out down there by FC. I think they are tearing it down. Nice sketches

Jordan said...

Thanks. I like the beams that stick out at the top of the bank, and I think there are some nice clerestory windows up there too. I was at Borders one day, and had to kill some time so I sat there in front of Panera.

ArquiTalks said...

Your sketches are looking really good. I will suggest charcoal pencils. You will need to cover the sketches with newsprint so the rest of your sketch book does not get dirty. You can add some color details with color pencils.

PS. I may need to pay you to do my trip sketches...

Jordan said...

Thanks Arqui, I think I will bring some charcoal pencils. And I sure could use the extra money, so.....